Robotics Hobbyist

The Exo-Suit Project

here is a bit of what I have designed for this already. please forgive the poor quality as I am not used to using drawing platforms on laptops.

2 Likes

I may need a great deal of assistance with the programming phase of the project.

Based on the fact you had mentioned in another post that you are going to start with smaller prototype versions of your design, I have a suggestion on a starting point for the programming phase. I use these devices in some of my projects, in fact my InMoov project is powered by 2 of them at this time. They are linked as one.

The programming is fairly straight forward and you can buy the items 1 piece at a time until you have all that is needed.

EZ-Robot is the brand I am talking about. The software is Windows based and will run on your laptop. It is fairly easy to learn and is very powerful. As mentioned my InMoov is running off of 2 of their EZ-B v4/2 Wi-Fi Robot Controllers, you can use any standard servo motor with them or use the ones they sell. I have a combination of GIANT HiTech Servo motors, Hobby King motors, and several other brands mixed and matched all running on these small controllers.

If funds allow you could even purchase one of their small robot kits and learn the programming with a small robot while you work through the design of yours.

You have an idea, you have some thoughts doodled down already. You just need to keep working at it, and eventually it will come together. I strongly encourage you to pick up a robot kit of some kind that is already designed and programmed and allows you to learn from it.

I started with a LEGO Mindstorms EVO3 kit and learned some that way. Then I moved to a Trossen Robotics HR-OS1 that you can see in the first video of this post.

In short, I am strongly encouraging you to find a platform that interests you and pick one up and learn from it. It will greatly assist you in learning and developing your project. I also encourage you to do what your doing, interact with others that are like minded. There are many who will help you learn and overcome a struggling point.

Thank You for sharing, I hope to see more on this as you have details and progress. And please continue to ask questions and one or more of us will assist as we can.

NOTE: You can have a look at the software for the EZ-B here: https://www.ez-robot.com/EZ-Builder/

I was thinking meccano/erector sets, or the hex bug erector sets.

Some of the Meccano ones are really good to learn with. They will assist you in learning the basics of building a robot, mechanics of movement, and some of them assist in learning basic programming. It is a good place to start if you are just starting out. Plus they are fun to build.

It’s funny you mention them, I purchased on for my father a couple years ago for Christmas, it was one of the ones where the robot was 3-4 feet tall. It had some basic programming as well as a ton of building.

im actually a bit further along in my design, I just haven’t transferred my sketches from my papers to my laptop yet.

here is what I have for the finger joint. bear in mind, each join will have two motors (red), one working each side of the hinge, so the pilots finger can go inside the shell. the stationary gear is green, the rotating gear is purple, ad the shell is blue.

you think that would work as I intend it to?

The theory/idea is good. However, for consumers, I don’t know of any motors small enough or strong enough for this.

Take a look at this thread: InMoov "Finger Starter" 3D Printed Finger

Take a look at how the finger is constructed.

Also have a look here at how the InMoov Forearm and hand is built. http://inmoov.fr/hand-and-forarm/

I am sharing these links so you can take a deeper look at a hand similar to what yours is, this one was constructed over many months of trial and error.

Now, maybe you have already done some research on the motors, but you have to consider voltage along with the amount of torque you need to have gripping force.

Food for thought.

Hi, I thought it may be helpful for those of us here in the forums to understand more about your project. Could you share more about the project, what the project is about, what it is for, what the end goal is?

This that will be helpful is the scale of the project, size if you will. I am asking for this info so that when I make a suggestion or recommendation that I can have in mind your end goal, so I can try to recommend things that will help you to achieve this.

If you look at some of my projects here, you can see that they vary in size and complexity. Some are just small robots that are just build for fun and educational purposes. To learn about the mechanics and programming.

Then there is the InMoov project which is a life size robot. And of course my latest which is a life size R2-D2 Droid.

Knowing these things can make it easier to suggest electronic motors or methods for creating them. The more we understand your project and goal, the more we can accurately assist you.

mostly taking this and bringing it into real life.

I found an old programming mag that mentions the Python Programming system. is this a reliable programming system to use?

Python is one of the most widely used languages in Robotics, along with C++ and ROS. You will see them mentioned in the forums a few times. I myself am considering learning Python and picked up a couple books on it.

A friend suggested I try this: https://learncodethehardway.org/python/ link and give it a try. You learn by doing small projects.

If you want to learn programming for Robotics, I highly recommend you learn Python. There are many resources on it out there including the one I just posted above.

Very ambitious first project. If you work hard enough it can happen.

Another person you may wish to follow on YouTube is James Bruton, he does various projects that can help you with the design of your Robot. He also has a website where he documents many of his various projects, http://www.xrobots.co.uk/, I am not trying to push you to other places, just trying to share as much knowledge to assist you.

I was not aware that others might see this as ambitious. it is what spoke to me and reignited my love of robotics, so it makes sense in a way for this to be my first project. at least to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

about python. would a programming mag from spring 2018 be relatively accurate for pythons more recent iterations?

It depends if it is Python 2 or 3. Python 2 has many years of modules and development. Python 3 seems to be the way to go these days and it is catching up with the modules. Since you are starting from scratch I would suggest going with the latest. There are many resources to learn Python from.

In either case all the basics will mostly be the same.

Here is a resource to learn some history and differences. https://learntocodewith.me/programming/python/python-2-vs-python-3/

after some thought, I decided to forgo the hollow hand design and go with a control glove style of control.

1 Like