R/C Helicopter project


Here is a quick look at what I have been working on. It’s almost ready to add to the helicopter. Once I get this complete, I believe I will be ready to start on the tail parts.

UPDATE: I got the parts into the model in there approximate location. Getting so close to finishing this portion of the model.

I just have servo links from the motor to the bell cranks. Some misc. adjustments. Then I can start the tail.


I am now working on some of the remaining links from the servos to the bell crank assembly I just did. Here is an example of this on the left side of the helicopter. I will add the links from the right side when I am complete.

UPDATE: 2nd photo has been added with the links from the right side.


Here we have the fuel tank nipple. This is a push in design that is held by a web in the middle, similar to the ones on each end that hold the fuel line on.


Now that the bulk of the work is done on the main portion of the helicopter I imported all the updated parts into Fusion 360 and prepared a few renderings to share with everyone.

Next up is to start modeling the tail gear box, tail boom and tail rotor assembly.


I now have the gear box modeled, as well as the approximate length of the tail boom. The parts in pink are temporary place holders as the actual gears should be there. I haven’t started the gears yet. The tail boom is keyed so that it can be located by depth as well as prevent rotation.

As before these parts could change as the model evolves.


Here is another screenshot of the tail gear box in its approximate place on the helicopter.


Here we have some bevel gears added. I am still very new to modeling gears and I know there are equations to creating bevel gears. However, for my purpose here, I just want them to look visually good. They may not be accurate to what would be used in real life, but accurate enough for the models representation.

So after much trial and error, I figured out how to get the angles needed by using the project tool. Once figured out, it made easy work of getting the look needed. Then I was able to use the scale feature to get them visually the matching size to the model. Here are a few screenshots of the results.

The bottom two screen shots show the sketches I used with the project feature. It’s a crazy mess of lines. But it worked. I’m sure there’s a better way. But once I got started it made sense to me.

I’m not happy with the other gear, and will likely rework it at some point.


Here we have the drive shaft for the tail rotor modeled and in place. Still need a couple support bearings in the tube.


Here we have the gears positioned now.


Here we have some work on the tail boom supports and the control rod. There are now 507 parts to this model. And if I had to guess, I would say I have about 100 to go.


Here we have the boom support clamp and horizontal tail fin. The fin is non functional and there for aesthetics only. The boom supports are now in their approximate location as well.


Here we have a quick render of the model up till now. This was done on my Mac which is no where near as powerful as the custom PC I typically use for the Renders. But I wanted to show a quick look at what it should look like. When I get further along I will do a high quality render.


Here are a couple better renders. This is of all work that I completed so far on this model.


Here we have the control arm modeled and in its position. This controls the mechanism that will change the tail rotors pitch.


Here we have part of the tail rotor Gearbox, along with the rotor shaft and bevel gear.


The tail rotor gearbox is complete and in its approximate location.


And now the tail fin. The only purpose on a R/C Helicopter is to prevent the tail rotor from striking the ground.


Here are a few of the parts that will make the tail rotor change pitch. There are still 6 or parts to model not counting fasteners.

Then there is still the question if I will attempt a canopy, tail blades, main rotor blades and possibly even the motor and exhaust pipe. This is a large model with hundreds of parts and is physically large.


Here is a quick render of it done on my laptop.


Here we have a couple more parts that contribute to the movement of the tail rotor. Next is the tail rotor hub and blade grips.