Just wanted to share a little about the hexapod I have been building based on the designed kindly shared by RoboticsHobbyist on Thingiverse - if you want to see the original designs they are here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3103547
So a little bit of history. Way back when, in the distant past (in hobby robotics terms) I was asked if I would beta test a new robotics education/construction kit from a company called Robotis. This was the original Bioloid Comprehensive kit and came with 19 AX-12 dynamixel servos. It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with the dynamixel servos and subsequently, nearly all of my homemade walking robots have been based on them. Run forward to mid 2017 and I wanted to get a new hexapod up and running. My first robot back in the early 1990 had been a hexapod and subsequently I have always had a soft spot for them.
The initial build was based upon a circular, commercially available hexapod chassis, with 18 AX-12 servos and a laser cut deck for the electronics. The electronics where based on the Arbotix M controller (Arduino compatible with 3 wire serial TTL interface for the servos) and an Arduino Mega with touch screen for the sensors and main control. The Arbotix was interfaced to the Arduino Mega via I2C and just managed the walking gaits and locomation using NUKE and Pypose. It walk well and was a lot of fun, but wasn’t quite what I had in mind visually.
So late last year I was browsing around Thingiverse and stumbled upon the designs for a hexapod that RoboticsHobbyist had uploaded. That was the look I wanted, inspired by the PhantomX Hexapod from Trossen but with designs that could be customised. The new build started.
My initial design change was to look to laser cut the chassis rather than 3d print it. The first prototype chassis plates where cut in 3mm plywood and I decided that the chassis needed some additional length to accomodate my additional electronics. I used Inkscape to tweak the SVG files I had created from RoboticsHobbyists 3d designs and added about 46mm to the length of the chassis. The resulting chassis was laser cut in 3mm acrylic, red for the bottom and black for the top.