Interesting filament & technique

Hello fellow-printers,

after presenting my 3D-printed adapters on an German astronomy board someone pointed to the low heat-tolerance of the standard-PLA and the resulting risk of mechanical instability…

Afterwards an interesting discussion started and another member (a polymer-engineer) introduced the idea of tempering/annealing the PLA-printouts.

annealing PLA prints

While my first thought was to get PETG for printing to get something more heat-tolerant I stumbled about a filament called GreenTEC from the Austrian producer extrudr who is quite renown for producing high-quality filaments.

Their GreenTEC is heat-tolerant up to 115°C and the GreenTEC PRO form-stable up to 160°C…

I managed to get the GreenTEC very fast and already printed my adapter with the normal PLA-settings I use (215°C/60°C) and it came out as perfect as PLA.
The GreenTEC PRO is already ordered and dispatched, but I won’t be able to print it before next week (I’m a few days away for educational purposes :smile: ).

So if you’re up to printing mechanical reliable parts you may consider the annealing process or some kind of special filament…

Cheers Chris

Excellent info. Thank You for sharing this. This is very cool stuff.

Are you able to share images of your adapter?

of course…

The orange one is standard PLA and the red one GreenTEC. Both printed with the exact same settings.
The second and third photo show industry grade aluminum parts been screwed to the adapter…

The thread is functional but not absolutely perfect :smiley: Hopefully Shapr3d will get a thread-tool in the future…

Cheers Chris

They look excellent. You did an awesome job getting them to mate.

Here you see a detailed shot of the thread (or one of the both threads, to be precise) we were discussing that much about…

And this is just a print from my cheapo Anycubic i3 Mega (which is not so bad BTW)

The next iteration is using slight filleting of the edges to make it optically even more appealing… :smile:

So nothing fancy and high-tech from me, but a seemingly sturdy, bespoke adapter for astrophotography - temperature stable up to 115°C (hopefully).

Cheers Chris

The printer looks like it is doing just fine. The threads look very good visually, and they obviously mate, so that is a plus as well.

Just a quick comparison between the standard aluminum-thread of a regular machined part and the printout.

Let’s face it… I’m not comparing the sturdiness of an aluminum workpiece with my DIY-print, but I’m pretty sure that my adapters will do their job.

As soon as the improved batch is printed I’ll give it a try and make some mechanical tests including brute force - after all on one side a +2k€ astrocam-rig should be kept from breaking apart and hitting the ground :wink:

That’s it for now…

Cheers Chris

Hi,

I played around with annealing PLA, the only issue I found was the dimensional shifts, if you need precise parts, such as your thread, annealing can mess things up. It is great for things where precision isn’t as important such as statues or sculptures.

Your prints look awesome btw. That thread seems to be near perfect.

Carl

This is a very good point. It’s something I take into consideration when printing things as just the heating and cooling of PLA during the print has a small affect. I assume annealing will have a bit larger affect on things.

I am using a PLA called Tough PLA by Makerbot. I use this when I need a bit more strength for my prints as it claims to have the ability to be drilled and tapped. I forget the specs of it, but I know the regular PLA melts if I put a drill to it.