InMoov Project Part 13 - Custom Power Distribution Board

Original Article Date: March 18, 2018

In my quest to keep wiring neat (which it is not at this time), I wanted to create a board that would help minimize the amount of wiring needed.

So I create a Power Distribution board that will take all servo inputs from 2 EZ-B v4/2’s and then isolate and output the signal wire to the EZ-B’s. The power will be handled by the PDB.

The PDB will also have two LED’s allowing me to see that the PDB is receiving power to each side. There will also be a 4 pin header that is for Ground so that the servos are running from the same ground, 2 Pins can be routed to each EZ-B. So now instead of having power spliters/headers all over the place all power is handled right here on this board. So all the ground and power wires from the servos can plug straight in here. Only 1 wire now needs to go from here to the EZ-B Robot Controllers, this significantly lowers the amount of wiring needed. Each Robot controller can be individually power and fused. This also cuts the amperage draw down as each side only handles half the servo load.

Eventually the goal will be to make one Main Board to handle the entire robot. But for now I am doing it in small phases until I have everything the way that I want it to be.

While I was waiting for this board above to arrive I wanted to come up with a portable way to power it. The thought behind this was in case I decide to ever take it somewhere and demo it when it is complete. I also wanted a way to work with it so that it is wireless.

I decided to go with 4 - 6V 12Ah Sealed Lead Acid Batteries that I wired in Parallel. I also spread the load so that they draw down as equal as possible. The final output voltage is about 6.2 Volts, most of the electronics are rated for up to 12 volts. Anything that is not will have a voltage regulator in place.

I also made use of Fusion 360 to create a clamp style holder for the batteries, it sits on the bottom of the stand that holds the InMoov, the reason for this is so that the InMoov is no longer top heavy, this helps keep it firmly planted to the ground.

This is also wired to use a digital battery tender to keep the batteries maintained and operating correctly.

Here is a 3D Model of how the batteries are wired. This was modeled with Shapr3D.