Hexabot Project - Complete with Final STL files

This project was created using Shapr3D on a 2nd Gen 12.9" iPad Pro. This project was created started in March of 2017 and was documented over at the Shapr3D forums. I wanted to also share it here for others to see as well as to assist in getting some content to start with here at the RoboticsHobbyist.com forums.

March 2017

I am working on one of my latest projects and I decided to try something that I didn’t see mentioned anywhere. I wanted to be sure and share this in case others haven’t run across this yet. Sorry if this was already mentioned, but I didn’t see it anywhere.

As we all know we can group shapes within a workspace and hide them to work on another shape. I was curious if you could hide all shapes except a particular one and export it as an STL for 3D printing. Since the item I am working on is going to have 25+ shapes (assuming my iPad Pro can handle it) I wanted to see if it could all be completed within one workspace.

The good news is that we can. I just created my second shape for this project and was able to hide the 1st one, export the second one as an STL for printing. So we can export all shapes as a single STL or individually. This is a really useful feature.

001_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

002_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

003_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

Greeting from the UK

March 2017

Here it is with servos added to aid in the next part design. These are just of the physical size, didn’t spend time modeling screw holes, wire connectors or servo wheel.

I am definitely making more progress with Shapr3D in only 3 weeks than I did with any other CAD program in roughly 3 years (off and on).

PNG

March 2017

I had time to print out the two parts and assemble them. The printed parts came out as expected and surprisingly the tolerances were spot on.

I now need to start working on all the other parts as well as the actual design as I haven’t fully thought out the whole thing. I have been basing it off of a retail design that I seen online and thought it would be good to test out Shapr3D and my ability to recreate a functional design.

This is a work in progress and I hope to change it some from the original design. I don’t have specs but I have images that I can reference for scale purposes, however I have made this one slightly larger as I am trying to take advantage of the build size of my printer. Any way, here are a couple images of the printed parts. And please realize this is a work in progress and may change multiple times or not at all before it is complete.

005_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

006_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I worked on this quite a bit more today. I modeled the next part of the leg for this hexabot. I have test printed the part and assembled it. It all looks good so I am now 3D printing 10 more to complete this part of the leg. Hopefully tomorrow I can model the next piece.

I will share another image of the 3D printed parts once assembled. The model is now up to 26 parts modeled, performance on the iPad is still really good, I should be able to complete this with only one workspace.

007_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

008_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

009_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

Finally the last leg joint. Now to work on the lower leg/foot. The just to figure out electronics mounting system.

010_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

Modeled the feet/legs today. Need to print them to be sure I get full range of motion. Next is a removable electronics tray. Then can install electronics and test.

Here is an image of the feet in place.

011_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

Here it is assembled after being 3D printed.

012_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

The two front legs are printed. Full range of motion achieved with this design. Will print out the other 4 tomorrow. Now to figure out the removable electronics tray design. It should be walking by end of this coming week.

013_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I will be using rubber vacuum caps for the toes of the legs so this will have some grip when walking on hard floors. I modeled the toes for the visual effect of this. You can see them in the image below. I also remodeled the Bracket holding the legs to have more mounting holes for the servo to gain some adjustment.

There are a total of 50 parts for this model fully assembled. This will likely increase by a couple once I model the electronics tray. In the image below I created a spare parts group colored in green, this is to show the different parts it took to create this model.

I will likely take a break today from modeling, but I have several parts to complete printing and assemble.

014_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I finished the printing last night and assembled the legs and revised parts. This thing is huge.

015_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I just finished modeling the electronics tray. Originally I was going to make it removable, however I made use of both the top and bottom Plate instead, this allows the removal of the bottom Plate to work on the bot. The controller board is mounted upside down to the top Plate, the battery and switch is mounted to the bottom Plate. I have one more part to figure out but I don’t have dimensions, the part is due for delivery today, so hopefully I can finish the modeling today.

I cut holes into the tray to allow heat to pass through the top and air from bottom. I’m unsure I will keep this shape for the plates, still trying to figure out the shape. This is phase 1 to use existing code. Phase two is to try and make it autonomous.

Here are a few screenshots.

016_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

017_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

018_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

One more updated image for everyone to see.

019_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

As mentioned in prior posts I was not sure I would leave the body as it is, I honestly didn’t like the sharp corners of the design, they were very helpful for the designing phase but now that it is nearly complete it was time to change it up some.

After playing around with it some here is what I come up with. I’m curious as to what everyone else thinks. If you could give me some feedback I would greatly appreciate it. When it is complete I plan to install the electronics and get it walking, then I will shoot a video and be sure to share it. I will eventually be sharing all the STL files needed for someone to print one, I want to fully prove/test the design before doing so.

Here is the latest and possibly the last design change. I have one more part to model and create a mount point, but that is all that it will be is a mount point. Thanks in advance for any input.

020_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I am finally in a spot where I believe the design will function as planned. I will print all remaining parts tomorrow and try to get it assembled. I have all but one of the electronic items now, so I should be able to wire it up.

Here are a couple screenshots.

021_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

022_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

023_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I thought I would give a status update. I have the top plate mounted and the electronics mounted to it. I may modify the plate later to adjust the electronics positioning. But they will work for initial testing.

I also have the bot 90% or so wired. I still need to wire in the switch, which is designed to mount on the bottom plate with the battery. The bottom plate is in the 3D printer and almost complete. Once complete I can test fit the remaining pieces and install the software and do initial power in tests (there will likely be a video), unfortunately I am still waiting for the actual control to make it walk around, so until that arrives I can’t complete it.

Here is an image of the top plate with electronics and wiring. Wiring will also need to be cleaned up once fully tested.

024_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

I have the test code installed and verified that all connections are proper. Here is a video of the bot running through its test cycle verifying all servos function and center properly.

Huge credit goes to the Shapr3D team as this was not possible 32 days ago for me. Prior to Feb. 15 I couldn’t model a single part accurately as I couldn’t understand how to use other modeling software without taking many hours to watch videos and learn. Shapr3D allowed me to learn in the course of just a couple days of playing around and watching the tutorial videos. Shapr3D allowed me to bring this to life inside of 32 days

Thank You to the Shapr3D team for developing an App this is easy to learn and use.

March 2017

For anyone who wishes to print one of these, I shared the STL files here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3103547

025_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

March 2017

It’s alive and it walks. LOL.

After playing around a bit today I got it to do some basic walking using an Arbotix Commander 2 controller from Trossen Robotics. This is the start. Hopefully I can learn more about the programming side of things as I would like to take this much further. This project is now considered a success.

NOTE: I originally had another video where it waled around wirelessly in my kitchen. I accidentally deleted the video during cleanup efforts. If I find it in one of my archives I will repost it.

I will likely remodel the locations for electronics and some misc, updates. But it is good as it is now. The files have been shared here: Hexabot STL Files

November 2018

I wanted to share some images of this project all rendered in Fusion 360. The hexabot was fully designed with Shapr3D on the original 12.9" iPad Pro.

Only things not completed with Shapr3D are the Bolts with threads and the nuts with threads. These were added with Fusion 360 as I wanted a more complete visual for rendering.

026_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

027_Hexabot_Shapr3D_Forums

I have updated the files on Thingiverse and they are available to anyone who wishes to build one of these.