Elongating bodies to defined measure

Hello fellow-designers :smiley:

After I kind of managed to get my fine-threaded adapter right and I‘m in the stage of experimenting with the best printing options a new question came up to me…

How can I elongate the main body of my adapter to defined lengths?

My theoretical approach at the moment is to subtract a body of defined length (e.g. 10mm) to get two solid bodies 10mm away from each other and translate one of those parts to the needed measurement and use the loft tool to recombine them again…
Quite tedious in my opinion.

Is there a possibility to select and stretch parts of an existing solid body to needed lengths?

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris, there is no easy way to do this with Shapr3D, but it is possible. Rather than recreate the wheel here, I just read this same question by another member of the Shapr3D forums. I’d love to post the answer here but it is in the form of a post, so I will link you to the post. This should do what you want as long as I understand what your asking. Be sure to have a copy of your work just in case this doesn’t work out.

Please be sure to let us know if this helps. If not then I can open up Shapr3D and see if I can put something together for you.

I also wanted to share this video as it is very helpful at showing some of the possibilities of editing existing bodies. I found this video helpful.

Hi Dennis,

the post you linked is somehow similar to a part of my approach.
Others than in the splitting objects question in the Shapr3D forum my problem is the defined overall-length of the resulting object.

Since the adapter is needed to bridge optical path in an astrophotography-rig it has to achieve sub-millimeter precision. And each optical corrector has a different working distance, so one has to use different adapter-lengths to get into focus.

But I‘ll give my divide et loft idea a try later.

Thanks Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the explanation. I fully understand. This should still be able to be achieved with the described method. Once the bodies are split you should be able to measure end to end of each body. Then you should be able to calculate whether you need to add or subtract. Once you know that you can do so and then use the Union Feature to merge the bodies. This would be the easier method from my experience.

Now you could also export to STEP and import it into Fusion 360 and use the Split Body tool which is also easy to use. This maybe easier than the other method. I have used this for one of my other projects in the past.

Unfortunately lofting doesn’t work for ring-like shapes, but only fully filled shapes…

Do you have any idea how to make it work?

Sorry video couldn’t be uploaded (format not accepted…)

Cheers Chris

If the shape is fully closed and can be extruded it should work with loft, however I wouldn’t use lofting. I would use the extrude feature (push/pull).

What video format is it? I can likely open it up so you can share it. Images can also be helpful.

Dennis, you‘re genius…

While loft isn’t working for obscure reasons your hint to just extrude one face worked like a charm.

Nevertheless I have to solve the loft mystery, since extruding is only possible with bodies of the same cross-section on both parts and can‘t be used for a narrowing body.

CU Chris

Hi Chris, Glad that worked. You are also correct if it narrows Extruding won’t work.

If you get stuck with the loft and want to share the workspace or video, please let me know as I will do all I can to assist you.

I just opened up the format that is native to the iPad. It should work going forward. Let me know if it does not work.